Curiosity Killed the Cat

Alexander McQueen Red Trompe l'oeil Pencil Dress c2011
For the past two weeks, I've been walking around with my heart in my throat and my stomach in knots much of the time. There seems to be a real sense of urgency to chose a thesis topic as soon as possible and I'm having some trouble deciding on just one area of research. The problem is that I am a naturally curious person. I read one thing and right away light bulbs go off in my head with questions and related ideas. Plus I am easily able to converse in a multitude of areas related to fashion - from business to sociological issues, from the history of fashion to contemporary themes. How am I ever going to decide on just one thesis topic?

I started doing some preliminary research on a few random ideas I had and although they are all fascinating in their own way, I wonder whether there is enough there to sustain me through two years of research. As much as I adore libraries and looking at primary source material, I don't want to spend the next two years alone in a dusty archive somewhere pursuing a topic that no one could care less about. As shy as I can be at times, I'm actually good at doing interviews because of my innate curiosity and it makes sense to capitalize on that strength.

I'm leaning towards something that draws on both historical and contemporary references but I have yet to settle on a topic..... They say curiosity killed the cat. I hope I have nine lives, because I think I'm going to need all of them!

The photo I chose to accompany this post is of an Alexander McQueen dress that I admired while following a link from the online Victoria and Albert Museum journal. This glorious red dress captures the mood of what I wish I felt like at this moment - powerful, confident and sure. To see more of these fabulous dresses, visit the McQueen site here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Fashion and Photography. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template designed by Click Bank Engine.